Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Ironman Training: Week 14

I had a recovery week scheduled for next week, but due to some terrible weather on Saturday I decided to take it this week instead. Still a good week of workouts though.


Click to enlarge


2/11: Slept-in and missed my morning swim (I've been doing that a lot lately on Mondays). Weight lifting in the afternoon (Squat: 3x5x135, Incline Press: 3x12x90, Pull-ups: 7 sets, 59 total). I was planning on biking a bit to warm-up before the weights, but the weather was pretty crappy outside.

2/1210 mile bike ride with 5x1:00 intervals mixed-in, followed by 3 miles of tempo running.

2/13: My big Ironman distance swim: 400m warm-up, followed by 3800m long (in 1:21:00). Skipped the weights in the afternoon.

2/14: Easy 10 miles on the bike, followed by an easy 3 mile run. It feels good to do more bricks again.

2/15: 2400m swim in the morning: 400m warm-up, then 10x200m sets. The last two sets I did reasonably fast, in 3:33 and 3:39.

2/16: They were calling for freezing rain and snow all day, but when I woke up the radar looked favorable so I headed out to Yorktown to spend 50 miles on the bike. I ate a cliff bar after the first 10 miles, and then the rain started coming down. Miles 10-30 soaked me through all four of my layers, and I stopped to eat another cliff bar and to refill my water. My legs felt great but the temperature was dropping, and a few miles into my next loop I started shivering. I cut this loop short and finished at 34.46 miles. I was planning on doing a short brick afterwards, but I was too cold to do anything but go home and soak in a hot bath.

2/17: Rest day.

Weekly Totals:

Swim: 6600 meters (3 hours 18 minutes)
Bike: 55.13 miles (3 hours 22 minutes)
Run: 6.23 miles (1 hour 2 minutes)
Strength: 45 minutes
Total: 8 hours 27 minutes

Taking the rest week early worked out because aside from cutting my long bike short, I also missed several other workouts: swim and bike workouts on Monday, weights on Wednesday, and a run on Saturday. It was still a solid week in terms of workload though.

The next week is especially tough: I'm planning for at least 12 hours of workload (3 swims, 4 bike rides, 4 runs, one weight-lifting session), which would be the most I've ever done. Here's hoping the weather cooperates! 

No comments:

Post a Comment