Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Brick and Intervals - All In One!

Yesterday I was scheduled to do running intervals, and I decided to throw in some cycling beforehand because I haven't done a brick in a while. It was a pretty easy 10.43 mile ride, which ended up being my fastest average speed (17.65 mph) while keeping my average heart rate at 147! That's at the very low end of Z2, hardly any effort at all. It helps that I didn't hit a single red light, too.

Quick 3:00 transition to throw my vibrams on and I was out the door on the run. When I just run it takes 2-3 miles for my legs to feel good, but I always feel fantastic when I bike beforehand. Today was no different. I kept a pretty good pace (9:33) for the first mile before starting my intervals. Here's what the map looks like:

LOOK AT THE PRETTY INTERVAL SPIKES IN MY SPEED!

When I did intervals last week I felt dead by the end, but this time I felt so good that I did 6x1:00 intervals instead of 5. And once I finished those I kept my pace reasonably high for the final mile; my heart rate was staying right at 180, which is at the very top of Z4, but I felt good so I didn't slow down. Finished feeling unstoppable, and I almost wish I had pushed myself to do another loop to attempt a 10k PR. Oh well, maybe next time.

My contact lenses have been bothering me lately, and I've chalked it up to dehydration from all the exercise. However, I woke up this morning and my right eye is a little swollen/puffy, so it may be something worse. It seems to happen after going to the pool, which worries me. Hopefully it's not bothering me this afternoon so I can start Week 4 of my swim plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment