Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Weekend Roundup

Four great days of workouts!

Thursday

Brick day: 10.37 miles on the bike followed by a 5K with 5x1:00 intervals. The bike was easy, and for the most part so was the run, but by the last interval I felt like I had asthma: my throat was closing up slightly, and I couldn't get a full breath. No big deal, the cool-down was fine.

Friday

More swimming! 2000m total:

  • 500m warm-up
  • 500m long (in 10:05)
  • 4x100m
  • 8x50
  • 8x25
Felt great the whole time. The 500m was a breeze, and I almost wish I had gone farther, but I'm glad I didn't as I struggled a bit more in the 100's. 

Saturday

56.50 miles on the bike, 9 loops at Yorktown. Runkeeper messed up a bit, and it lags like crazy when I try to edit it, but oh well. I had gatorade prime before the ride, and a cliff bar at the half-way point. I didn't have any heart rate issues on the last loop (unlike in my 50 mile ride last week), but it was still pretty hard on my quads, and a bit on my knees. No mechanical issues either, of course because I now carry a spare tube in my saddle bag for just such an occurrence. Went home and pigged out on a cheeseburgers, fries and soda. Probably not a good idea, but I had a craving.

Sunday

After watching the Olympic Marathon (won by a Uganda runner in 2:08) I was inspired to attempt a 20 mile run. I took last Sunday off, did 19 miles the week before that, and 18 the week before that, so I felt like I was perfectly primed for a big push. So I filled up a 1-gallon jug with water, grabbed a bunch of energy gels, and planned on doing four 5-mile loops at battlefield. However, after one loop it was obvious that I didn't have 20 miles in me, so I cut the mileage and push the pace instead. Ended up with 13.1 miles at a 10:00 pace, though I focused primarily on keeping my heart rate just below 160 bpm. It's a good thing I cut the mileage early, because by the last few miles my left knee was acting up a bit... not major pain but a little discomfort. Went home and pigged out on cheez-its and soda.

My diet has been garbage on the weekends lately, but it is what it is. I'll shore that up when I have races coming up, but during training I don't think it's a big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment