Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

More PRs?

Busy week!

Wednesday I did a quick brick: 7.26 miles on the bike followed by a fast 1.00 mile run. The last 7:00 on the bike were at LT. The workout would have been longer but it was getting late and I was starving.

On Thursday we were meeting Bre's family in Richmond for dinner, so I squeezed in a quick 10.37 mile ride, with 3x4:00 intervals mixed-in.

Friday I took the day off, and on Saturday I did a better brick workout: 20.18 miles easy biking followed by a 3.11 mile run. During the run I wanted to keep my pace around 10:00/mile, but my legs refused to go that slow. I don't know what has happened in the last month but I'm suddenly much faster than I used to be. No complaints here!

On Sunday I did my half-marathon run. The first 6 miles were at an easy pace, with the remaining 7.1 miles at my goal race pace (9:00/mile). I felt fantastic for most of the run, but around mile 10 I started to bonk: my stomach was cramping up a bit, and my legs were really fatigued. My heart rate kept randomly spiking up into the 180s and I felt like I would have to stop and walk at any moment. I somehow held on, and had an extra speedy 8:36 mile at the end. Not only is 2:02:54 is a new half-marathon PR (previous record: 2:05:07), but the final 10K was also a record for me at 55:41, beating my previous record of 57:08 from last Monday! PRs everywhere.

I also finally ponied up the money for some cycling shoes and clip-in pedals on Wednesday. The pedals look like this:



The shoes have clips on the bottom that snap into the pedal, so your legs pull as well as push the pedals:


It's a little tricky to remember to clip out of them before you come to a complete stop (I almost fell over at the stop light on my Thursday ride), but it just takes some practice. On Friday I came home for lunch and found the shoes like this:


The shoes have a latch buckle which makes it easy to tighten: you just click the latch and it tightens it up one notch. On the right shoe Hans had chewed up the buckle JUST ENOUGH TO BREAK IT. He didn't touch the clips on the bottom, which can be replaced for $2. He didn't chew up the shoe itself, which would have just been aesthetic. He chewed up the only part of the shoe that is required for it to function. I took the shoes back to the store to see if there was anything they could do, and thankfully they can order me a replacement buckle for $30. I expected to have to buy a completely new shoe, so I'm happy with only paying $30. In the mean time I used some zip ties to wrap around my shoe and keep it on tight for my Saturday ride. Worked like a charm. Here's Hans looking guilty afterwards:


No comments:

Post a Comment