Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

Ramping Things Back Up

I was still fatigued on Friday so I decided to listen to my body and take another day off. Cooked an entire skillet of hashbrowns and mixed in 5 eggs, and stuffed my face with all the calories. It seemed to work because the next morning I woke up and didn't feel fatigued for the first time all week.

About 1200 glorious calories. There's more bacon hidden underneath that pile.

Saturday I went to the beach with Liz. I wanted to practice my open water swimming, but the water was far too choppy so I ran a nice 5K barefoot on the beach instead. I felt fantastic for the first half, and when I turned around I realized why: I had been running with the wind. The second half of the run was against the wind and much tougher.

I felt good during the run, but afterwards I noticed my right IT band was a little uncomfortable. It wasn't sore, I was just aware that it was there, if that makes any sense. I woke up feeling the same way on Sunday, so instead of doing a bike-to-run brick I just did the bike, 23.50 miles easy spinning, with the last 4:00 at race pace. Worked on my long ride nutrition: water every 5 minutes, pretzels every 15, and a gel pack at the 45:00 mark.

As of yesterday the Crawlin' Crab half-marathon is three weeks away, and with the pool closed and no more triathlons scheduled until the spring I'm anxious to focus on running/biking. Here's the plan for the week, assuming my IT band doesn't bother me more:

Mon: Run 6.22 miles
Tue: Bike 10.00 miles
Wed: Run 3.11 miles (intervals)
Thu: Bike 10.00 miles (intervals) followed by 3.11 mile run
Fri: Rest
Sat: Bike: 20.00 miles
Sun: Run: 13.11 miles

This would ramp my running up to 25+ miles this week, after only doing 6 both last week and the week before. I'm a little worried about that but will play it by ear. If my legs don't feel up to the half-marathon on Sunday then I'll do something shorter. Either way I want the pace to be moderate, close to 9:00/mile. I would hate to break the 2-hour half-marathon barrier on a training run though, so I might do the first half at a 10:00 pace, and the remainder at a 9:00 pace. That would still be a PR at 2:04:24.

No comments:

Post a Comment