Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

Biking, biking, and more biking

Last Tuesday I went on my first tempo bike ride in months. The plan was to ride two miles to warm-up, then ride 10-12 miles at a 3:00/mile pace (fast for me!), then cool-down for a few miles. I popped a caffeine pill and a gel pack, filled up my water bottle, and hit the road. Here's how it went:


11 miles of intervals (about 33 minutes total), with a 7 mile cool-down.




The wind was awful (20 mph gusts) on the front end of the neighborhood loop, and that kept me above a 3:00/mile pace on several of the miles. I made up for it on the back end and averaged 2:59/mile over the course of the 11 miles, and still felt pretty good at the end. So good, in fact, that I did a longer cool-down than originally planned, rounding it out to an even 20 miles.

On Saturday I went out with a goal of biking 40 miles, with a short run afterwards. The weather was perfect: 70 degrees and sunny, with minimal wind. 40 miles seemed to easy, so I ended up doing 50. 3 hours of biking is exhausting. I got home and napped for an hour, and my quads were achy the rest of the night. But I can confidently say that my knee is at 100%.


Hills!

I'm noticing a significant difference using the caffeine during my hard workouts; my muscles get tired at times, but instead of staying tired the rest of the workout they bounce back pretty quick. I'll have to integrate it into my races.

No comments:

Post a Comment