Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Long Overdue Update

I haven't updated in three weeks, because of one big reason: I've been injured.

I've mentioned that my left knee has been bothering me while cycling, and on a March 20 ride it was really bothering me. I visited an orthopedic surgeon on March 25 and he quickly diagnosed me with a torn meniscus. Surgery was probably needed, pending the results of an MRI. I was told there would be 4-6 months of recovery time for a meniscus repair (where they stitch it back together), or 2-4 weeks of recovery for a meniscectomy (where they cut off the torn part). Being only 27 years old he highly recommended the repair, since we want to preserve as much of the meniscus as we can. I had to wait two weeks for the MRI results, in the mean time cutting out all running and limiting my riding to the exercise bike with no resistance.

For someone who has been training 7 months for Ironman Florida, this was pretty devastating to hear. I began replanning my next year of training: I would probably have to drop out of Ironman Florida, and instead I might be ready to do Ironman Texas in May 2014. This injury would also mean dropping out of 4-5 other races between now and then.

In the mean time I could still swim though, so I doubled-down on that part of my routine:


Click to enlarge

Here's how my weekly swimming compares. Plenty of two-a-day swims (before and after work), and a monster of a workout on 3/28: 5000 meters total, with a main workout of 19x200m sets.


Injury period in the red box. Lots of time in the pool.


Well yesterday (April 8) I got my MRI results back: no torn meniscus! I have a swollen/pinched synovial plica, which doesn't require surgery. The doctor gave me a quick shot of cortisone and told me to resume my normal workload immediately, and that the plica will take care of itself through exercise. So, ironically, by stopping my biking/running I was slowing down my recovery.

The cortisone made my leg stiff all yesterday, but I woke up this morning and it feels like he injected me with rainbows: I'm ready to take on the world. The Monticelloman Olympic Tri is in 4 weeks, so with a little bit of luck I'll be ready for the triathlon season. I couldn't be happier!

No comments:

Post a Comment