Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Ironman Training: Week 1

Now that the Richmond Marathon is over, my official focus is the Ironman. It's 50 weeks away, and I have a lot of training to do, but it all begins with the first step.

Monday: Rest day, still recovering from the race.

Tuesday: We just signed up for a membership at One Life Fitness, so I woke up and went to the gym at 5:00am to swim. The pool is only 20m long, but it's salt water instead of chlorine and is heated too, which easily makes up for it. I swam 1640m total (1 mile): 300m warm-up, 5x100, 21x40. There were a few military guys farting around in the lanes when I got there, but they left when they saw that I was there to swim laps.

That afternoon I ran a light 3.11 mile recovery run. Legs were a bit sore, but it felt good to get the flood flowing to them.

Wednesday: Lifted some weights:

  • Deadlift: 1x5x135
  • Incline Press: 3x12x65
  • T-Bar Rows: 3x12x135

I tried doing squats, and in fact got all the warm-up sets in. But right before doing the main sets I went downstairs and my legs cramped up really badly; apparently my quads are still too fried from the race to do squats. Deadlifts were no problem though.


Thursday: 7 mile run in the afternoon. No problems here, and picked up the pace for the second half.

Friday: Woke up early again and swam 2000m: 380m warm-up, 5x100, 10x60, 10x40, 6x20. Had the entire pool to myself.


Lifted some more weights when I got home. Did a few low-weight squats and decided not to risk it just yet.

Bench Press: 3x12x95
Pull-ups: 8, 6, 4

Saturday: 20 mile bike ride at Yorktown. I did the battlefield loop once, followed by 5 hill repeats. It felt FANTASTIC to get back out there on the bike. After a 5 minute breather I threw on my running shoes and ran 4 miles. My legs (specifically my left knee) were a bit achy though.

Sunday: 13 mile run down by the Mariner's Museum. Stomach was a bit off, and the last 3 miles were painful, but I kept a pretty good pace.

Weekly Totals:

Swim:  3640 meters (2 hours 7 minutes)
Bike: 20.4 miles (1 hour 14 minutes)
Run: 27.2 miles (4 hours 32 minutes)
Strength: 1 hour 15 minutes
Total: 9 hours 8 minute

No comments:

Post a Comment