Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

Confidence: Reacquired.

When I posted last week my confidence for the Richmond Marathon was waning. A week later and my entire attitude has changed!

Sunday: I was stuck inside (thanks to the hurricane) so I did some weight-lifting for the first time in several months:

Bench Press: 3x12x105 (3 sets of 12 reps at 105 lbs)
Dumbbell Curls: 3x12x20
Pull-ups: 6

My arms were absolutely destroyed after doing the bench and curls, so I tried two sets of pull-ups and gave up. Oh well, it's a start, and I'll be able to focus more on them after the marathon next week.

Monday: Rest (hurricane was still out in force)

Tuesday: 10K tempo run: 1 mile warm-up, 5 miles at faster-than-race-pace, and then the remaining 0.22 miles as cool-down. When I got home I described it to my wife as "the best run I've ever had". Not only did I PR by 13 seconds, but it was mostly effortless. I felt great the entire run and could have run for another hour. I've missed running in the cold.

Wednesday: Short 10 mile bike ride. It was my first ride in cold weather, and I wore my long-sleeved underarmor. I had no problem staying warm even though it was 48 degrees and windy. Having said that, my heart rate was a bit higher than I would have liked, and I struggled to get into a "groove" on this ride. 5:00 of LT work near the end of the ride.

ThursdayShort, easy run, with a sprint for the last 1/3 mile. It was 45 degrees but sunny so I didn't wear any underarmor (choosing to run only in shorts and a T-shirt). I felt fine temperature-wise, but my heart rate was higher than normal.

Friday: More weights:

Incline Press: 3x12x65
T-Bar Rows: 3x12x135
Dumbbell Curls: 3x13x20

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Another 10K tempo run: 1 mile warm-up, 4 miles at race-pace, 6th mile very fast (7:59), then a short cool-down. I didn't feel invincible like I did on Tuesday, but I still finished feeling great.

The two tempo runs seriously boosted my confidence for the marathon this Saturday. I'll post more about my strategy for the race later in the week, but right now I have my sights set on the 4:00:00 mark! 

No comments:

Post a Comment