Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

Ironman Training: Week 2

Another busy week of training!

Monday: Swam 2000m in the morning: 400 warm-up, 6x100, 10x60, 10x40. Lifted weights in the afternoon:

  • Squat: 3x12x85
  • Incline: 3x12x70
  • Deadlift: 1x5x145

Tuesday: A 6.22 mile tempo run: 1 mile slow warm-up, then each mile faster than the previous one. I really enjoy these, especially when it's freezing outside.

Wednesday: Swam 2000m in the morning: 400 warm-up, 6x100, 5x80, 10x60. Right shoulder was a bit stiff at first. Lifted weights in the afternoon:

  • Squat: 3x12x95
  • Bench: 3x12x100
  • Pull-up: 8, 6, 6

Thursday: An early-morning easy 7.00 mile run to make room for turkey.




Friday: More morning swimming: 2000m total: 400 warm-up, then 16x100. Despite pigging out the day before I felt great during these. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to do sets of 200m. 

Saturday: Brick! 23.34 mile bike ride, with 3 hill repeats in between, followed by a 4.10 mile run. The ride wasn't very enjoyable: it was brutally cold, the wind was strong, and there were a lot of tourists blocking the road with their cars. Several times I had to slow down while going 30mph downhill because an SUV was in the way.

Sunday: Slow 13.12 mile run. Last week my long run was a struggle, but this one was relatively easy. 

Weekly Totals:

Swim: 6000 meters (2 hours 59 minutes)
Bike: 23.34 miles (1 hour 26 minutes)
Run: 30.40 miles (5 hours 1 minute)
Strength: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total: 10 hours 56 minutes

Swimming before work has become pretty routine; it's no longer difficult to force myself to wake up at 4:15. Having said that, I've trained for 14 straight days without a rest day since recovering from the Richmond marathon, and I'm starting to crave afternoon naps. I may need to rearrange my schedule a bit to allow for a rest day every now and then on Fridays. 

4 comments:

  1. Yikes, 14 days!! You've GOT to rest, man! The Ironman is almost one year ahead, if you are pushing like this now, you are going to burn out in no time :-( One rest day per week is mandatory for any triathlete, regardless of level. My coach, even when he plans 5h worth of workouts per week insists on a full rest day (not even strength training, nada). Even the busiest athletes do it. I highly suggest to read Iron Fit. I am happy to hear that you've already embraced the Ironman-in training lifestyle with early swim workouts and all - those are the most difficult to squeeze in, so kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, this is my biggest problem. I get super motivated, plan out a workout schedule, and stick to it religiously. Everyone I've talked to, and every book I've read, emphasizes the importance of a weekly rest day, but I always end up skipping it and doing a workout anyways. For me, it was easy to justify because I'm going out of town for 10 days on Dec 15 (and will only be able to run, so I'll get several rest days in there), so I told myself to work hard up until that point and rest hard for that week.

    Thanks for the reminder, it's something I really need to force myself into doing. I get so excited planning my workouts on my spreadsheet that an empty day triggers my OCD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found some really good advice here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1725. It just happens that this guy is also going to race Ironman Florida. Take a look! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the article! That's exactly the sort of information I need. The 8-week SFT period is especially good advice, and I think I'll take a look at my schedule and edit it accordingly.

    ReplyDelete