Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Ironman Training: Week 8


Boy did it feel good to get back into the swing of things this past week.

Monday: This was the last day of the year, but I wasn't feeling too hot in the pool before work. I felt bleh in my 400m warm-up, and decided to do sets of 100m (instead of my usual 200m). However, after the first 100 I felt good so I kept going to 200 without stopping. I still felt great, and hardly winded at all, and continued on to 300. Before I knew it I had done 2000m straight, the longest I had ever continuously swam (previously my longest was 1000m). I did it in 41 minutes, a pace of 2:03/100m. I did a few sets of 100m as a cool-down, finishing the day with 2700m total.

Tuesday: My ankles have been unusually sore lately, so I took it easy and did an easy 4 mile run.

Wednesday: I slept in and missed swimming this morning, but I lifted weights in the afternoon (Squat: 3x5x115, Bench: 3x12x105, Pull-ups: 32)

Thursday: Woke up and went to the pool to make up for missing it the day before, and regretted it. The pool was packed, 8-9 people lazily screwing around in the lanes and not really doing anything. They gave me more room once they realized I was actually swimming continuously, but it was still a distraction. On top of that my arms were very sore from the weights the night before. Ended up swimming 2000m total (400m warm-up, then 16x100). That night I ran 9 miles, alternating slow and fast miles. 

Friday: My arms were still sore in the morning, so I skipped the pool. This turned into a complete rest day.

Saturday: 13.11 mile long run. My right IT band was a bit sore near the end, but not bad.

Sunday34 mile long bike ride, followed by a 1 mile run. Legs had more energy than last week, and I had no trouble keeping my heart rate low this time. However, my legs were incredibly fatigued when I started running, so much so that I scrapped my plan to do 4 miles and just did the one. Oh well, better than nothing. I really need to start biking once during the week as well.

Weekly Totals:

Swim: 4700 meters (2 hours 21 minutes)
Bike: 34.26 miles (2 hour 9 minutes)
Run: 27.11 miles (4 hours 39 minutes)
Strength: 45 minutes
Total: 9 hours 54 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment