Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Ironman Training: Week 18


My left knee has been acting up a bit while biking (but feels fine when running), so I took some extra rest days this week. It doesn't help that a new videogame (Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm) came out too. Still a good week of training, though.

Click to enlarge


3/11: I skipped the morning swim and went right after work instead. It's nice not being constrained to 1 hour of work like I am in the morning: I swam 3800m total (400m warm-up, then 17x200m sets @4:30), and felt great the whole time. I was even complimented by two old Asian women who said I should be in the olympics. That put a smile on my face for the rest of the day.

3/12: Terrible weather, so I took a rest day.

3/13: 2800m in the morning (400m warm-up, 2000m long in 39:45, then 4x100m cooldown). In the afternoon I did a rare swim-to-bike brick: 2400m swim (400m warm-up, then 20x100m sets), then I rushed home and jumped on the bike for 10 miles. My legs felt super fresh and I had no problem with the brick, but the wind was terrible and my left knee was acting up by the end of it.

3/14: 6.22 mile run to break in my new shoes. It started out as a tempo run (where each mile is faster than the previous one), but after the first three I felt like I was getting a blister so I slowed down. I felt fantastic though.

3/15: Rest day. I had already swam the most ever in a week (9000m) so I didn't want to overdo it.

3/16: I was originally planning on spending an hour or so on the bike, but we got delayed at the Shamrock race expo and by the time we got home I wasn't motivated anymore. Another rest day.

3/17: Shamrock half marathon. Rocked it despite bad weather: 1:56:38, only 20 seconds away from a new PR. I'll write up a real race report tomorrow.


Weekly Totals:

Swim: 9000 meters (3 hours 45 minutes)
Bike: 10.04 miles (35 minutes)
Run: 19.33 miles (2 hours 54 minutes)
Strength: 0 minutes
Total: 7 hours 14 minutes

I enjoyed doing a swim-to-bike brick, and now that daylight savings time has hit I'll be able to do it more. Ideally I would do that once a week (Wednesdays?) with bike-to-run bricks on Thursdays and Saturdays.

My training isn't at the volume that I want it to be at (10+ hours per week) but I keep having these minor nagging issues. But I'd rather play it safe and heal up fully than push it and injure myself. 7 weeks to go until the Monticelloman Olympic Triathlon. 

1 comment:

  1. Gotta love Asian ladies with compliments! The volume of your training looks good to me. Keep it up cause some of us are being slackers. Lol!

    ReplyDelete