Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Bike Adjustments

My intention Monday was to bike after work and then lift weights, in that order. But as soon as I got home a pretty strong thunderstorm hit, with about 20 minutes of hail. So I scrapped the bike and lifted weights instead:

Overhead Press: 3x5x135 (failed on the last two sets)
Incline Press: 3x5x160 (failed on the last set)

I was going to do some T-bar rows too, but the weather had cleared up and the roads didn't look wet so I jumped on the opportunity and headed out on the bike. I had made an attempt at trimming the front derailleur at lunch so the chain wouldn't grind, but apparently I moved it too much because the chain wouldn't shift to the largest gear. The middle gear is doable though, and I hammered out a quick 7.05 miles and got home just in time for dinner. I adjusted it some more when I got home, and will test it on Wednesday. If I still have problems I'll just take it to the shop.

Riding along the Oyster Point Road section of the loop is mostly safe since it's one big turn lane that's rarely used, but it's still not perfect. Yesterday one person on a cell phone driving a huge Suburban came pretty close to me instead of changing lanes, which scared me a little bit. It really reiterates how reluctant I am to ride on major roads, and will stick to the Kiln Creek loop, the Battlefield trail, and eventually the Colonial Parkway.

The temperature was in the 70s on Tuesday so I decided to skip the bike and go running, since the rest of the week is in the 90s. Bre and I went up to the Noland Trail to run a 5K, and the trail has loads of up-and-down hills and is very challenging. My calf has still been sore so I was slightly worried, but it felt great during the run and I kept a sub-10:00 pace, which is very good for the Noland.



Went swimming afterwards, and didn't get my total distance in: I was planning on doing 2200m, but only swam 1600m, alternating 50/50 free/breast. My arms and shoulders were just too tired from Monday's weight-lifting, and I could tell the run left my tank half-empty too. On freestyle I switched from breathing every 4 strokes to every 3, and practiced the timing of that. Breathing to my right is harder than the left for some reason, so I need to really focus on that next time. The pool is closed on Thursday for a swim meet, and I can't swim on days that I lift weights, so I'll have to go on Saturday after my long bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment