Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

Exercise ALL THE THINGS!

Yesterday I ran a 10K at a moderate pace, and then hopped on my new bike in the afternoon for a short test run. Unfortunately I made the mistake of not filling the tires all the way, so it wasn't a very smooth ride and took more effort than it should have. I don't know if it was because my legs were tired from that morning's run, or because I'm not conditioned enough for cycling, but my quads were burning by the end of the 5 miles. We'll see how things go when the tires are fully inflated, but I might have a long way to go to build up my cycling endurance.

My biggest problem is that I want to do everything. I've been doing the Starting Strength lifting routine for almost a year, and throwing marathon training into that last fall was doable. But adding cycling/swimming to the calendar is making things a bit tougher. Previously I was lifting on Mon-Wed-Fri, and doing cardio on Tue-Thur-Sun (with a rest day on Sat). Here's my plan for this week:

Monday: lifting (pm)
Tuesday: bike (pm), swim (pm)
Wednesday: run (am), lifting (pm)
Thursday: bike (pm), swim (pm)
Friday: run (am), lifting (pm)
Saturday: long bike (am)
Sunday: long run (am), swim (pm)


3 runs, 3 bikes, 3 swims, and 3 lifts. Most days I split the lifting up so that I do half at lunch and half after work. I'm also tempted to cancel one lifting day altogether, or skip the squats/deadlifts that day so that it's upper-body only. I'm concerned about not having a rest day, but we'll see.

The long run and long bike will be done at the Battlefield trail in Yorktown, where there's almost no road traffic. The week-day biking will be done in the neighborhood, where there's a bit more traffic. We'll see how that goes. I also may occasionally do a brick on Sundays, where I bike and then run immediately afterwards. Right now it's all sort of up in the air. 

No comments:

Post a Comment