Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Mid-week workouts

Lifted weights Monday night:

Squats: 3x5x260 (failed on the last set)
Bench: 3x5x190
Pull-ups: 5 sets of 10

Tuesday I was excited to go biking right after work. I checked the tires, which I had filled the day before, and saw that the front one was flat! I unscrewed the nozzle and found that part of that was broken off on the inside, probably from being a little rough with the hand-pump. Pulled the wheel off the bike and took it to Bike Beat up the road, and they replaced it for $17 ($6.99 for the tire, $10 for labor). Only took 2 minutes, and I went ahead and bought a foot pump (with a PSI guage on it) while I was there. Great staff, extremely friendly and helpful.

Got home, put the wheel back on, used the foot pump to check both tires (the back one was still woefully under pressure), and hit the road. I did one mile in my sub-division to get a feel for the bike before taking it out on the main road. I felt fantastic and completely safe; most cars changed lanes to pass me, rather than edging me closely. Halfway through my ride a fellow cyclist pulled up next to me and commented on my skeletoes shoes. I laughed and told him that I'm a complete noob and haven't even bought real cycling gear yet, and that it was my first time cycling. He welcomed me to the sport, and gave me a few pointers: he said that my seat looked a little low for my height, and recommended I wear gloves while cycling to keep from damaging the nerves in my hands. After this he pulled ahead and told me that I was welcome to draft behind him, but his pace was a little faster than I wanted to keep for my first ride so I didn't try to keep up. After one neighborhood lap I went back to my house, ending at 5 miles total. Here's the runkeeper for the ride... the pace/speed is a bit watered down because of the slow first lap in my sub-division (and waiting 60 seconds for traffic while trying to turn onto the main road), but while on the main road I was going between 17-22mph consistently.

After that I went to the pool. I alternated between 50m free and 50m breast with no rest in between, and felt so good after my planned distance that I legged out another 200m to make it an even 2000m, the half-ironman distance for the pool. Some kids kept playing in the lane at the beginning of the swim, but swimming past them while doing the frog kick scared them away. Arms/shoulders were pretty sore by the end, but it was a great swim, even at a slow 2:24/100m pace. I was concerned that my knees would really hurt, but they feel fine so far this morning. Doing 50/50 freestyle/breaststroke really helps, compared to mostly breaststroke.

I woke up early and ran this morning, and broke the #1 rule of running: always go to the bathroom before your run. Half a mile out I realized I had to go, so I turned around and ran very fast back home. After that I finished things off with another 2 miles in my sub-division to end up at 5K. Weights tonight, we'll see how much energy I have after running this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment