Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

Busy Week

It was a busy week last week!

Monday: I took a rest day Monday because I was still ridiculously sore from the race. It helped that it was raining all day.

Tuesday: This started off as an easy recovery ride, but I felt so good after the first loop that I kept going faster. First loop was in heart rate Z1, second was Z2, third was Z3/Z4, and fourth was cool-down. 19.77 mph average.

Wednesday: Uri and I decided to race at the battlefield trail to see who is faster. We traded places a few times for the first 4 miles but after that I pulled away for good. I averaged 20.23 mph (very good for such a hilly route), and beat Uri by about 25 seconds. There were several times where I would have slowed down if I were by myself, but knowing that Uri was behind me pushed me harder.

Thursday: I did a 3.80 mile tempo run: first mile warm-up, then a mile at 7:50, then a slow cool-down for the rest. With the Komen 5K on Saturday I wanted to see how my body would feel at a faster pace.

Friday: I was let off work an hour early, so I took the opportunity to jump on the bike and go for an easy 10 mile ride. I kept it at a slow pace, but my legs felt pretty tired. 

Saturday: Susan G Komen 5K race. Race report coming.

Sunday: 17 mile long run. I wasn't sure how my legs would feel since this was my first long run since July, so this was a test run to see if I could even do the Richmond Marathon next month. My legs felt great though, and I did two full loops, stopping at my car once to refill my water bottle. The weather was absolutely perfect: high 50s, zero humidity. Five of the miles were under 10:00 (and the last one was 9:14). My right ankle bothered me a bit at mile 14, and I suffered from heart rate drift in the last 3 miles, but it was a very encouraging run nonetheless. It also gave me a chance to nail down my nutrition. I had some sports beans before the run, and a gel pack at 0:40, 1:20 and 2:00. It seemed to work great, and I didn't feel "starving" after the run like I sometimes do. Next week I'll go for 19-20 miles.

I love this fall weather, and hope it stays like this for as long as possible. Running is so much easier and more enjoyable when I'm not sweating my ass off the entire time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment