Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

Time to Taper

Thursday afternoon I was feeling pretty lethargic, so Bre went out for her run and I stayed inside and took a nap. By the time I woke up I was feeling better so I threw on the new Vibrams and went out to do some fartlek work: 9x1:00 intervals, with a warm-up and cool-down. 4 miles total. The most intervals I had done previously was 5, but I felt surprisingly great while I was out there.

Friday I rode my bike to work for the first time. It's about 4 miles away, and there's a sidewalk the entire way, so it wasn't very dangerous. I took my road bike since I didn't feel comfortable taking my tri bike to a not-so-nice part of town. Taking my road bike also meant I wouldn't have to worry about clipping-out at each intersection.

Saturday was wet and rainy, but I took it as the perfect opportunity to HTFU and rode 20 miles anyways. I kept my heart rate in Z2 the entire time, except for the last 5:00 which was at Lactate Threshold, and still managed a speedy 18.50 mph average speed. By the time I was done my shoes, pants and jersey were all soaked. I threw on some warm clothes and did an easy 5K off the bike, with the last 4:00 at LT. I felt AMAZING the entire time, so much so that I could have ran for another hour. I think I really nailed my nutrition on the bike: I had a cliff bar before the bike, gatorade and sports beans every 10:00, and a gel pack at the 45:00 mark. That gives me a good starting point for when my long rides get even longer.

Sunday my stomach was feeling weird, but I still went out and did an easy 10K run in Z1, again with the last 4:00 at LT. The timing worked out perfectly because there was a fast runner gaining on me near the end of the run, so I pretended that he was a fellow racer chasing me at the end of a race and used that as motivation to push myself. I've mentioned it before, but I need to practice getting in the race mentality.

The Crawlin' Crab Half Marathon is this Sunday, so that means tapering this weekend. It's tough to do since I have a fancy new tri bike and my legs have felt great, but this is my 'A' race and I need to store up some energy if I have any chance of breaking the 2 hour mark. Ride now the plan is to do a 5K at race pace on Wednesday, and spend the rest of the week doing some super easy biking. Friday and Saturday will both be rest days. After the Crawlin' Crab I have 5 weeks to prepare for the Richmond Full Marathon... but that's a problem for Future David, so I'll let that guy worry about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment