Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Too Much Biking

What does too much biking get you? Legs too tired to run. Here's how the week went:

Monday: 13 mile bike ride. Nice and slow, except for the last 3:30 which was at LT.

Tuesday: Rest day.

Wednesday: Another bike race against Uri, this time in my road bike. I was a bit slower than on my tri bike last week (19.7 mph vs 20.2 mph), but I felt like I pushed much harder. Uri and I stayed close for the first few miles, but at the 4.40 mile mark there's about half a mile of uphill terrain, and I kicked it up a gear and sprinted uphill the whole way, gaining some separation. Uri stayed close though; every time I looked behind me he was right there, only 50 feet back. By the end I was close to throwing up. Afterwards I ran an easy mile to cool off. While resting after the bike race we were passed by some tourists that asked if we were in the Coast Guard. Nice!

Thursday: I had the day off so I went to Yorktown to do 25 miles of biking. I also found an area that has a nice uphill section, and did a few repeats over there. It was definitely a great workout for my legs. Afterwards I did three fast 1-mile intervals: the first mile in 7:47, the second in 8:05, and the third in 8:28. I like this approach to bricks, doing some fast 1-mile intervals off the bike instead of steady-state running.

Friday: Another rest day after Thursday's tough workout.

Saturday: I biked from Yorktown to my grandma's house in Jamestown on the colonial parkway. The first trip took me 1 hour and 18 minutes, and the return trip was 1 hour and 21 minutes (but was a longer distance due to me taking a wrong turn). The parkway has a LOT of hills, so I would fly down one side and then slowly trudge up the other side. On the return trip my legs were gassed, and I'm surprised my average speed was about the same for both. This is probably the best place to do hill training in the area (3200 total climbing feet over 46 miles!), and after Saturday it's obvious I need the work. The only downside was that the road was bumpy, and my wrists are still sore from absorbing that much force for so long.

Colonial Williamsburg is peaceful at 8:00am

Sunday: I was originally planning on running 20 miles, but my legs were still too fatigued from Saturday's ride so I played it easy and ran an easy 10 miles, with the last mile fast in 8:22. Looking back it was really dumb of me to have so much hard bike riding when I should be focusing on running.

I have one more week to do a long run before I begin tapering for the Richmond marathon, so I'll aim for at least 20 miles on Saturday. Right now I feel pretty confident about starting off the race at a 9:00 pace, but we'll see if my confidence is still there after my last long run. I'll take it easy on the bike this week, do some running speed work on Tuesday and Thursday, and tackle my long run on the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment