Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

A LONG weekend

I didn't do anything on Friday. And it was wonderful.

It rained all Friday night and into Saturday morning, and stopped raining right as I was getting up at 7:00. I jumped on the opportunity and got on the bike, squeezing in my 30 mile long ride. It was very easy keeping my heart rate in the 140s, until the last 20 minutes or so when it kept creeping up into the 150s. I was pleasantly surprised to see my overall pace was a PR as well, even though I felt like I was going slow. That gives me hope that I'll be able to sustain a 20mph pace in the sprint triathlon in 7 weeks. And I think I'm finally starting to build up a callus, because my saddle sores were hardly bad at all afterwards.

Taking advantage of the break in the rain, I changed into my swim trunks and went straight to the pool afterwards, even though I could tell I was a bit dehydrated and hungry. Had another good swim, still struggling a bit on my form on the long 200m long swim but overall I can tell that I'm improving. I pushed myself too hard on the 25m sprints and my shoulder was sore for the rest of the weekend, so much so that I woke up Sunday night and took some painkillers. I think it's just muscle soreness and not a deeper injury, but I'll still take it easy from now on while doing the faster swim sets.

Sunday morning I didn't get to the park for my long run until 9:00, but the weather was wonderful: 75 degrees, cloudy, and raining just enough to make things nice and cool. Ran the battlefield loop once (~9 miles), refilled my water bottle at my car, and then decided to take a detour and cut over to the Newport News Park loop. In the end I ran 18 miles, the longest distance I've ever ran aside from the Shamrock marathon.



My heart rate stayed very low for most of the run, except for the last 4 miles or so where it stayed around 160. But it was still very satisfying to run at my normal long run pace and see that I'm right where I need to be, heart-rate-wise. It was also good to see that I can still crank out a hardcore long run when I want to, despite lowering my weekly running mileage to make room for the biking/swimming.

When I was done I had a killer craving for oranges, like an "if I don't get some goddamn oranges right now I'm going to die" type of craving. And I don't usually like oranges! Bought a bunch, chowed down when I got home:


I'm going to start doing bike intervals on Mondays, so hopefully my legs will have enough strength in them tomorrow. I'm planning on starting off doing 5 sets, each 2 minutes long, in Z4, with a few minutes of cool-down in between. Depending on how that feels I'll adjust accordingly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment