Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Mid-week

Lots of toys in the mail!


Originally I was planning on just running, but I was eager to try some of this out so I biked 10.37 miles first. I love the new jersey, though my only complaint is that it's not as long as my other one, so it sometimes shows a patch of skin on my lower back when I'm hunched over the bike. The water bottles are easy to pull out of the bracket, and kept my water very cold. 

I took the opportunity to practice my transition as well. It took me almost 2:00 exactly to park my bike, switch shoes and socks, and put some loose-fitting shorts on over my tri shorts. However, I forgot to turn runkeeper off for the bike, so by the time I had done that and changed it over to "Run" it was more like 2:30. Running a 5K immediately afterwards was a breeze; I felt great from the get-go, and had to slow myself down to keep from running too fast. I could have done more, but stopped at 3.11 miles because I didn't want to push it.

Using the heart rate monitor was great. It automatically calculated my max heart rate, and I set it to keep me in a range of 70-80% of my max. That worked well for the bike, as I was consistently in the high 70s and only occasionally went above that. However, my running heart rate is a good deal higher. When I started the run my heart rate was exactly 70%, but quickly jumped to 85% after maybe 30 seconds of running. I slowed down a bit, but it still stayed around 82-83 while running slowly. I'll chalk this up to my running heart rate being a little higher than my biking one, and try to keep it below 85. 

I also noticed that keeping an eye on my heart rate helped take my mind of the biking/running. I bet it will work extremely well for long runs, whereas before I would pace myself based on how I felt, which REQUIRES you to think about your body.

Wednesday Lunch:
-Leftover linguine carbonara
-Slice of cookie dough
-2 glasses of milk
-1 can of mountain dew

Wednesday Dinner:
-Pasta shells stuffed with cheese
-Cinnamon roll cake
-Slice of cookie dough
-2 glasses of milk
-Protein shake with creatine

No comments:

Post a Comment