Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

I Love Swimming Even MORE!

I had a great swim workout on Tuesday, and Thursday was even better. I stayed home from work and went to the pool when they opened at 11:00 and got my second Week 2 workout in. I was really focusing on "not fighting the water" and letting myself glide through, and especially with twisting my body to push my hands as far forward as possible. My 200m long swim felt wonderful endurance-wise, and I felt like I could have done more. I'm still struggling a bit with my kicking, but I noticed something: I only struggle when I swim slowly. On my 25m sets I swam significantly faster than on the longer sets, and the kick timing came perfectly natural. It makes me wonder if I should try a 4 or 6 beat kick while doing longer distances, and if that will feel more natural. The problem is that this is generally not recommended for triathletes since they need to conserve their legs as much as possible for the bike/run.

Went for a bike ride in the afternoon, and blew my rear tire after 4 miles. Took it back to Bike Beat, and had the guy recommend me a slightly larger tire. Apparently the stock tires that came with the bike are for people up to 180 lbs. Having a heavier person (I weigh 192) ride on them is doable, but it increases the risk of punctures. $52 later and I have a new tire, tube, and patch kit. He recommended I keep my old tire and use it during the winter if I bike indoors on a trainer, which sounds like a good idea. He was the "tri guy" at the shop and I had a great time picking his brain

Also, I went ahead and signed up for the Patriot Sprint Tri for September 9! It's official, no backing out now.


Though it's BS that they charge $5.52 shipping/handling for an event registration, since nothing is getting shipped to me.


Thursday Lunch:
-2 PB&J sandwiches
-2 glasses of milk
-3 bottles of gatorade (one after the swim, one during the bike, one after the bike)

Thursday Dinner:
-Bowl of Mac & Cheese
-LOTS of homemade nachos
-Sugar cookie dough (I know, shut up)
-3 glasses of milk
-1 protein shake with creatine

No comments:

Post a Comment