Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Rounding out the week

Very shitty Saturday, as far as workouts go. My planned 28 mile bike ride (3 loops at battlefield) was cut short at 18 miles because of a flat rear tire. Luckily it only became noticeable as I was finishing my second loop, so I didn't have to go very far with low air. If I had known I would only be doing 2 loops I wouldn't have stopped for a 30 second breather to snap this photo:



So I sucked it up and headed to the pool for my final swim workout of the week:

-500m warm-up: 4x25, 2x50, 2x75, 2x50, 2x25
-1500m main workout: 4x100, 12x50, 20x25

However, on the second-to-last set of 50s there was a clap of thunder, and they had to close the pool. The good thing is that the sets of 25s aren't the meat of the workout, so if I have to miss anything those are the ones. It's still pretty demotivating to wake up pumped-up for two workouts, and to have them both cut short. I guess that's part of the game. I'll make up the mileage by biking 30 miles on Wednesday, since we're out of town next Saturday.

Lunch Saturday:
-3 open-faced fried egg and cheese sandwiches
-3 cups of coffee
-1 bottle of gatorade
-2 glasses of milk
-1 protein shake

Dinner Saturday:
-Double bacon cheeseburger from Five Guys
-Lots of french fries
-Coke
-1 protein shake with creatine
-Peanut butter M&Ms

Did another brick on Sunday morning: biked three loops in Kiln Creek, practiced my transition (only 90 seconds!) and then ran 8 miles. My running heart rate is still pretty high, and I had to slow myself down just to keep it around 165. I had 13.1 miles originally planned, but the heat was taking it out of me and I was completely drenched, so I went home early. This was a good decision, because I lost 4 lbs of water weight despite drinking 6 bottles of gatorade/water during the exercise. I was so drenched with sweat that my toes were wrinkly from the wet socks. Yikes.

It was a beautiful day despite the heat though:


The brick really drained me energy-wise, so I spent the rest of the day relaxing.

Lunch Sunday:
-Large hot dog with ketchup
-Large slurpee
-M&M cookie
-Small bag of kettle chips
-2 bottles of gatorade
-2 glasses of milk

Dinner Sunday:
-3 egg omelete with ham and colby jack cheese
-Bowl of salad with cheese and ranch dressing
-1 glass of milk
-Protein shake with creatine
-Peanut butter M&Ms (it's a bad idea to have these in the house at any given time)

I'll be spending tomorrow testing my heart rate max for the bike and the run, which will be nice because I have a sneaking suspicion the "220-age" formula isn't accurate with my. I'm guessing my running heart rate max is closer to 200 instead of 194. No idea what my bike max is.

2 comments:

  1. David, you should be doing the lacatate threshold test, it is the most accurate to find out your level of fitness. I did it a few weeks ago and found it bang on. You can read more about it on my blog : http://ririnette.blogspot.ca/search/label/lactate%20threshold

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ririnette, is that more accurate than testing my HR max? What I've read is similar to what's on your blog: 15 minute warm-up, then increasing the gear every 60 seconds (while keeping cadence around 90) until you're sprinting as fast as you can by the end. Whatever your HR is at the peak is supposed to be your max, which you can then use to calculate training zones. The method on your blog seems almost identical, but with a longer time in each gear before increasing.

    Your thoughts? I'd be happy to use your method since it's coming from someone in the same boat as me, instead of a random internet search!

    ReplyDelete