Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I Love Swimming

Yesterday was the first day in Week 2 of my swimming routine, and I was a little nervous because it included my first long swim:

-500m warm-up (4x25, 2x50, 2x75, 2x50, 2x25)
-200m long-swim
-5x100m
-12x50m
-20x25m
2300m total

It was challenging, but 200m was doable. The 100m sets were still tough, but after that the 50s and 25s were a cinch. I can definitely feel my endurance improving. 2300m was also the longest session I've had yet, and I drove home feeling fantastic. Hans likes to lick the sweaty chlorine off me when I get home:



One thing that I realized yesterday is how important form is. During my 25m splits I had been averaging about 24 seconds while swimming easily. On my last 25m I swam as fast as I could... and did it in 24 seconds. Simply moving "faster" means absolutely nothing if the form isn't right. With this in mind, on Thursday I'm going to start counting how many strokes I take to go 25m, to gauge how efficient my stroke is. 

I did some weight lifting after swimming, and it was NOT easy:

-Bench: 3x12x135 (did 10 on the second set, and 8 on the third)
-Curls: 3x12x20 (dumbbells)
-Pull-ups: I wanted to do 3 sets of 8, but I did 4 in the first set and said "NOPE" and went to eat dinner instead. 

Tuesday Lunch:
-Two bowls of frosted mini wheats
-1 glasses of milk

Tuesday Dinner:
-Two bowls of fried rice (chicken, carrots and zucchini)
-2 protein shakes (one with creatine)
-Some sugar cookie dough
-Gatorade (post swim)

No comments:

Post a Comment